This recipe makes a 'loaf which slices well and can be served hot or cold. Any type of chopped nuts can be used for this dish, such as almonds, brazils or unsalted peanuts, but it's worth buying mature Cheddar specially, as it adds a mouthwatering depth of flavour.
- 6 oz long-grain brown rice 1/2 oz butter
- 1 medium onion skinned and chopped
- 1 garlic clove skinned and crushed
- 2 carrots grated
- 4 oz button mushrooms finely chopped
- 4 oz fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 4 oz nuts finely chopped
- 4 oz mature Cheddar cheese grated
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- Cook the rice in boiling salted water for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a medium frying pan and fry the onion, garlic, carrots and mushrooms, stirring frequently, until softened. Stir in the breadcrumbs, nuts, cooked rice, cheese and the eggs. Season to taste with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly together.
- Pack the mixture into a greased 1.7 litre (3 pint) loaf tin and bake at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for 1 - 1 1/4 hours or until firm to the touch and brown on top. Serve the Vegetarian Roast sliced, hot or cold, with tomato sauce or chutney.
Calories: 585 kcal
Carbohydrates: 69 g
Protein: 22 g
Saturated Fat: 9 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 112 mg
Sodium: 387 mg
Potassium: 572 mg
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 5503 IU
Vitamin C: 10 mg
Calcium: 269 mg
Iron: 5 mg