Roast Goose with Fruit Stuffing and Red Cabbage
Roast Goose with Fruit Stuffing and Red Cabbage is a perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors. This recipe includes instructions for making this dish with or without the stuffing.
- 1 goose with giblets
- 12 oz prunes
- 2 1/2 pint water
- 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb cooking tart apples
- 1 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- for the red cabbage
for the red cabbage
- 2 oz butter
- 1 1/2 floz Demerara raw sugar
- 2 1/2 floz water
- 2 1/2 floz malt or cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Soak the prunes overnight.
- Remove the giblets from the goose and simmer them in 1.5 litres water until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Weigh the goose and calculate the cooking time at 20 minutes for every 500 g.
- Remove the excess fat usually found around the vent.
- Rinse the inside of the bird, then rub the skin with lemon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the stones from the prunes and chop the flesh.
- Peel and core the apples and chop them roughly.
- Mix with the prunes and season to taste.
- Stuff into the body of the bird.
- Place in a very hot oven, 230°C, Gas 8, reduce the temperature immediately to moderate, 180°C, Gas 4, and cook for the calculated time.
- Meanwhile, prepare the red cabbage, shred finely.
- Melt the butter in a large flameproof casserole.
- Add the sugar and cabbage and stir well.
- Add the water, vinegar, and seasoning, cover and cook in the bottom of the oven for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- When the goose is cooked, drain off the excess fat, retaining the juices in the pan.
- Add the redcurrant jelly and stir until it melts.
- Serve the gravy and red cabbage separately.
Calories: 1822 kcal
Carbohydrates: 23 g
Protein: 61 g
Saturated Fat: 42 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 312 mg
Sodium: 689 mg
Potassium: 1412 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 15 g
Vitamin A: 718 IU
Vitamin C: 19 mg
Calcium: 64 mg
Iron: 10 mg