Cooking time for the lamb is 1 1/4 hours, but remember to allow it to cool overnight in a cold place. You can use left-over lamb for this dish, but meat cooked and left to cool in the piece has a better flavour and is also moister. If the slices of lamb will not fit in the dish in a single layer, make 2 layers and separate them with a layer of half the mayonnaise mixture. If you have any tuna mayonnaise left over it will make a delicious snack or starter served the following day spooned over halved hard-boiled eggs or a bed of shredded lettuce.
- 1/2 leg of lamb weighing about 2 lb
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 oz dripping
- 7 oz can tuna drained and flaked
- 3 tablespoons thick bottled mayonnaise
- 5 oz natural yoghurt
- 2 teaspoons anchovy essence
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small red pepper deseeded and cut into strips
- 12 black olives
- Heat the oven to 190°C (375°F) Gas 5.
- Place the lamb on a large sheet of foil, and tuck the sprigs of rosemary and the bay leaves into, the meat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and dot with the dripping. Wrap the foil around the meat and place in a roasting tin. Roast in the oven for 1 1/4 hours or until the meat is tender
- (the juices run clear when the meat is pierced with a skewer).
- Remove from the oven and leave the meat to cool overnight in its wrappings.
- Make the tuna mayonnaise: put the tuna in a blender with the mayonnaise, yoghurt, anchovy essence, lemon zest and juice. Blend until the mixture is smooth. Alternatively, if you do not have a blender, mash the ingredients with a fork until well combined.
- Pour into a bowl, then taste and add salt and pepper if necessary. Cover with cling film and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Plunge the strips of pepper into boiling water for 1 minute to blanch them, then drain and refresh under cold running water. Drain thoroughly.
- Carve the cold lamb into thin slices. Lay the slices in a single layer on a serving dish and cover with the tuna mayonnaise. Arrange the strips of pepper in a lattice pattern over the mayonnaise and place the olives in the squares. Serve cold.
Calories: 469 kcal
Carbohydrates: 7 g
Protein: 48 g
Saturated Fat: 8 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 148 mg
Sodium: 516 mg
Potassium: 774 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 1060 IU
Vitamin C: 54 mg
Calcium: 80 mg
Iron: 4 mg