For wholefood Christmas mince pies, make the pastry with wholemeal (whole grain) flour and fill them with this delicious, moist suet-free mincemeat. It will keep for up to 6 months and fills about three 450 g (1 lb) jars.
- 3/4 lb fairly sharp eating tart apples
- 1 tbls whole candied peel candied fruit (candied fruit)
- 2 tbls almonds
- 1/4 lb green seedless grapes
- 1/2 lb raisins
- 1/2 lb currants
- 1/4 lb sultanas golden raisins (white raisins (muscats)
- grated rind and juice 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- little freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 lb Barbados brown (brown) sugar
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 8 tbls brandy
- accompaniments you may need these
- Mince Pies with Homemade Mince Meat
- Peel, core and finely chop the apples.
- Finely chop the candied peel.
- Blanch and split the almonds and cut them into fine slivers.
- Halve and seed the grapes.
- Put them all into a large bowl and mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well and pack the mixture into sterilized jam jars.
Calories: 2924 kcal
Carbohydrates: 615 g
Protein: 26 g
Saturated Fat: 16 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 60 mg
Sodium: 371 mg
Potassium: 5615 mg
Fiber: 47 g
Sugar: 373 g
Vitamin A: 2357 IU
Vitamin C: 69 mg
Calcium: 544 mg
Iron: 19 mg