Vegetarian Fried Noodles
When making this dish for non-vegetarians, or for vegetarians who eat fish, add a piece of blacan (compressed shrimp paste). A small chunk about the size of a stock cube, mashed with the chilli paste, will add a deliriously rich, aromatic flavour. Always be very careful when handling chillies. Keep your hands away from your eyes as chillies will sting them. Wash your hands thoroughly after touching chillies.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion finely sliced
- 2 red chillies seeded and finely sliced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 large cooked potatoes cut into small cubes
- 6 pieces fried bean curd sliced
- 8 oz beansprouts
- 4 oz green beans blanched
- 12 oz fresh thick egg noodles
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- sliced spring onions to garnish
- Beat the eggs lightly, then strain them into a bowl. Heat a lightly greased omelette pan. Pour in half of the egg to cover the bottom of the pan thinly. When the egg is just set, turn the omelette over and fry the other side briefly.
- Slide on to a plate, blot with kitchen paper, roll up and cut into narrow strips. Make a second omelette in the same way and slice. Set the omelette strips aside for the garnish.
- In a cup, mix together the chilli powder and turmeric. Form a paste by stirring in a little water.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Fry the onion until soft. Reduce the heat and add the chilli paste, sliced chillies and soy sauce. Fry for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and fry for about 2 minutes, mixing well with the chillies. Add the bean curd, then the beansprouts, green beans and noodles.
- Gently stir-fry until the noodles are evenly coated and heated through. Take care not to break up the potatoes or the bean curd. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot, garnished with the reserved omelette strips and spring onion slices.
Calories: 613 kcal
Carbohydrates: 90 g
Protein: 21 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 153 mg
Sodium: 324 mg
Potassium: 975 mg
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 8 g
Vitamin A: 744 IU
Vitamin C: 66 mg
Calcium: 88 mg
Iron: 4 mg