Roast Pheasant Stuffed with Apples
- 1 pheasant
- 1/2 cooking apple peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 sprig thyme or a teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon redcurrant jelly
- 1 tablespoon double cream heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 7 / 425°F / 220°C
- Stuff the pheasant with the apple pieces and thyme, and season generously.
- Wrap the breast with a piece of buttered greaseproof paper. Put it in an ovenproof casserole, put on the lid and place it in the oven for an hour.
- About 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, take off the lid and remove the buttered paper.
- The pheasant will have cooked in its own juices and those of the apple, and will be lovely and moist.
- Cook it uncovered for the last 10 minutes to allow the breast to brown.
- When cooked, take it out and put to rest in a warm place for 5 minutes.
- Take the apple out of the pheasant and place in a little non-stick saucepan.
- Add the redcurrant jelly and double cream, and heat until the thyme flavoured apple has completely pureed, and the redcurrant jelly and cream have mixed into it.
- Carve the pheasant as you would a chicken and serve some of the sauce on each plate to eat with it.
Calories: 657 kcal
Carbohydrates: 7 g
Protein: 78 g
Saturated Fat: 10 g
Cholesterol: 247 mg
Sodium: 140 mg
Potassium: 862 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 5 g
Vitamin A: 681 IU
Vitamin C: 20 mg
Calcium: 50 mg
Iron: 4 mg