Sweet Potato Pancakes with Horseradish and Apple Sauce
- 1 1/4 lb sweet potatoes
- 2 oz plain flour
- 1 small onion finely chopped (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp ghee clarified butter
- salt and pepper
for the horseradish and apple sauce:
- 12 in 5 cm piece horseradish root (see method)
- 1 green apple
- 3 1/2 floz low-fat plain yoghurt
- 3 1/2 floz double cream
- 1 tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Heat plenty of salted water in a large saucepan. Peel the potatoes, grate them coarsely with a grater or in the food processor and blanch them in the boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain, transfer to a clean cloth or linen napkin, gather up the edges and twist them round tightly to force out all excess moisture.
- Mix the potato in a large bowl with the flour, onion and the lightly beaten eggs, seasoned with salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Cover the bowl and chill this batter in the refrigerator.
- Make the horseradish and apple sauce: peel the horseradish (wear sunglasses as it will make your eyes water and sting; alternatively, use vacuum packs or jars of ready grated moist horseradish which is not so strong).
- Peel the apple, cut into pieces and process in a food processor with the horseradish until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a bowl, stir in the lime or lemon juice, the sugar, 1/2 tsp vinegar and a pinch each of salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix in the yoghurt and cream and add more salt to taste.
- Make the pancakes: heat 1 tbsp clarified butter in a small non-stick frying pan (approx. 6 in (15 cm) in diameter) and when very hot, add a quarter of the batter, pressing the mixture level with a non-stick spatula before it sets.
- Fry over a moderate heat for 3 minutes, then turn the pancake and cook for another 2 minutes, when it should be browned. Drain and keep hot.
- These pancakes look more like large fritters or thin potato cakes. Serve as soon as the last one is cooked, handing round the horseradish and apple sauce separately.
Calories: 382 kcal
Carbohydrates: 52 g
Protein: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 10 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 130 mg
Sodium: 133 mg
Potassium: 676 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 14 g
Vitamin A: 20661 IU
Vitamin C: 9 mg
Calcium: 115 mg
Iron: 2 mg