Yorkshire Puddings with Minced Beef and Horseradish
This hearty Yorkshire pudding recipe is easy to prepare, can be made in advance, and is perfect for a winter day.
- 4 oz plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 pint semi-skimmed milk
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
for the filling
- 2 large onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb lean minced beef
- 3/4 pint beef stock
- 1 large carrot
- 4 tablespoons horseradish relish
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- A few drops gravy browning optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Parsley sprigs for garnish
- Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Beat in the egg, milk and 1/4 pint (150 ml) of cold water, to give a smooth batter.
- Place a teaspoon of oil in each of the Yorkshire pudding tins, or 1/2 teaspoon if using patty pans, and
- Golden Yorkshire puddings with horseradish mince.
- place in the oven for 2 - 3 minutes, until very hot. Divide the batter between the tins and bake for 40 minutes (30 minutes for smaller ones) until risen.
- Meanwhile, chop the onions and saute them in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until transparent. Add the minced beef and cook until well browned on all sides. Stir in the stock and simmer for about 10 minutes. Grate the carrot ready for the garnish.
- Stir in the horseradish relish, Worcestershire sauce, and a few drops of gravy browning if wished. The mixture should be moist with the stock, but not sloppy. Season to taste.
- Fill the Yorkshire puddings with the minced beef and top each one with a little grated carrot. Garnish each pudding with a sprig of parsley and serve.
Oven : Preheat to 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7).
Calories: 432 kcal
Carbohydrates: 33 g
Protein: 32 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 114 mg
Sodium: 398 mg
Potassium: 844 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 7 g
Vitamin A: 2642 IU
Vitamin C: 9 mg
Calcium: 94 mg
Iron: 5 mg