Pancakes with Blackberry and Apple Sauce
A delicious breakfast for Shrove Tuesday or a lazy morning. Serve with a splash of milk or a cup of coffee.
- 2 oz plain wholemeal flour
- 5/8 cup plain flour
- 1 tbls buckwheat flour
- 2 eggs size 3
- 1/2 pint semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- corn oil for frying
- vanilla ice cream to serve
- blackberries and apple slices to decorate
for the fruit sauce
- 2 eating apples cored and diced
- 8 oz blackberries thawed if frozen
- 2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- To make the batter, put the flours in a blender or food processor. Add the eggs, milk and sunflower oil.
- Blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl, cover and leave to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Add 75 ml (5 tbsp) of water and bring to the boil.
- Stir and cook gently, covered for 5 minutes, until the fruit is soft.
- Sieve the sauce into a bowl, then return to a clean saucepan and set aside while making the pancakes.
- To cook the pancakes, lightly oil an 18 cm (7 inch) frying pan and heat.
- Using a small ladle, pour enough batter into the pan until the base is just covered, tilting the pan to spread the batter evenly.
- Cook each side over a high heat for about 1 minute.
- Place on a plate lined with absorbent kitchen paper.
- Continue making pancakes until all the batter is used.
- Stack them on top of each other and keep warm in a low oven.
- Reheat the sauce. Place a scoop of ice cream on one half of each pancake and fold over.
- Pour about 15 ml (1 tbsp) sauce on each pancake and serve.
Calories: 99 kcal
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Protein: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 29 mg
Sodium: 21 mg
Potassium: 135 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 7 g
Vitamin A: 117 IU
Vitamin C: 5 mg
Calcium: 41 mg
Iron: 1 mg