Seared Steak Sandwich with Warm Tomato Salsa
- 2 sirloin steak 1 cm (1/2 in) thick, each weighing about 5 oz
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp freshly chopped oregano
- 1 small dried chilli crumbled
- For the warm tomato salsa:
- 1 red onion peeled and finely sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 dried bird's eye chilli or similar, crushed
- 12 oz baby plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
for the salad:
- 2 large handfuls wild rocket
- 2 oz roquefort cheese lightly crumbled
- dash olive oil
- dash balsamic vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 thick slices of sourdough bread
- 2 oz unsalted butter
- Mix together the balsamic vinegar, garlic, oregano and chilli in a shallow dish. Add the steaks and leave to marinate for up to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- 2.To prepare the tomato salsa: gently heat the olive oil in frying pan. Add the onion, garlic and chilli. Gently cook for 5 minutes until the onion is soft and golden. Meanwhile slice the sourdough bread and set to one side. Add the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and cook on a high heat for 3-4 minutes until the tomatoes start to burst in the pan.
- 3.To prepare the rocket salad: place the rocket into a large bowl and add the roquefort cheese. Add a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season the salad bowl with the pepper before tossing the leaves around the bowl.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade and season with salt and pepper on each side. Cook the steaks on the barbecue for 1 minute on each side. Slice the steaks and set aside.
- Meanwhile, butter the bread and place onto the barbecue, buttered side down for a few seconds to toast. Remove and place onto a plate.
- 6.To assemble the sandwich: place half the rocket salad onto the base of the sourdough bread. Place the steak slices on top of the rocket salad. Spoon over half the tomato salad, gently squashing the mixture down. Top with the remaining slice of sourdough bread.
- Cut each sandwich in half on the diagonal and serve immediately.
Calories: 542 kcal
Carbohydrates: 46 g
Protein: 28 g
Saturated Fat: 13 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 86 mg
Sodium: 637 mg
Potassium: 650 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 8 g
Vitamin A: 1384 IU
Vitamin C: 31 mg
Calcium: 177 mg
Iron: 4 mg