This recipe comes with a warning: once you've tasted this salsa, you may never go back to store-bought again.
- 1 fresh hot green chilli pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 red onion coarsely chopped
- 3 spring onions chopped
- 1/2 oz fresh coriander leaves
- 1 1/2 lb ripe tomatoes seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 - 3 canned green chillies
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 3 tbsp tomato juice or cold water
- In a food processor or blender, combine the fresh green chilli, garlic clove, chopped red onion, spring onions and fresh coriander leaves. Process together until everything is finely chopped.
- Add the tomatoes, canned chillies, olive oil, lime or lemon juice, salt and tomato juice or water. Pulse on and off until chopped; the tomato salsa should be chunky.
- Transfer to a bowl and taste for seasoning. Leave to stand for at least 30 minutes before serving. This salsa is best served the day it is made.
- For less heat, remove the seeds from both fresh and canned chillies.
Calories: 363 kcal
Carbohydrates: 55 g
Protein: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 1966 mg
Potassium: 2015 mg
Fiber: 18 g
Sugar: 31 g
Vitamin A: 7199 IU
Vitamin C: 153 mg
Calcium: 131 mg
Iron: 3 mg