Fried Dough Balls with Fiery Salsa
Get the recipe for this hot and spicy dish that's a little sweet and a little spicy. Perfect for a quick appetizer or a snack.
- 1 lb strong white flour
- 1 tsp easy-blend dried yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus extra for greasing vegetable oil, for frying
for the salsa
- 6 hot red chillies seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves quartered
- 1 in piece of root ginger roughly chopped
- 1 lb tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Stir in the yeast and salt and make a well in the centre. Add the parsley, garlic, olive oil and enough warm water to make a firm dough.
- Gather the dough in the bowl together then tip out on to a lightly floured surface or board. Knead for about 10 minutes, until the dough feels very smooth and elastic.
- Rub a little oil into the surface of the dough. Return it to the clean bowl, cover with clear film or a clean dish towel and leave in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
- Meanwhile, make the salsa. Combine the chillies, onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor and whizz together until very finely chopped. Add the tomatoes and olive oil and process until smooth.
- Sieve the mixture into a saucepan. Add sugar, salt and pepper to taste and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Do not allow the salsa to boil.
- Roll the dough into about 40 balls. Shallow fry in batches in hot oil for 4 - 5 minutes until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper and serve hot, with the fiery salsa in a separate bowl for dipping.
- These dough balls can be deep-fried for 3-4 minutes or baked at 200°C/400°F/ Gas 6 for 15 - 20 minutes.
Calories: 245 kcal
Carbohydrates: 41 g
Protein: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 240 mg
Potassium: 283 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 703 IU
Vitamin C: 47 mg
Calcium: 22 mg
Iron: 3 mg