- 4 oz yellow split peas soaked overnight and drained
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks thinly sliced
- 1 small leek trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons medium oatmeal
- 1 3/4 pints chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons natural low-fat yogurt optional
- 4 thin lemon slices to garnish
- Put the split peas, onion, celery, leek, lemon rind, lemon juice, turmeric and oatmeal into a saucepan, stir them together and pour on the stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Swirl the yogurt on top, if using, and garnish the soup with the lemon slices. Serve hot.
- Turmeric not only gives a distinctive flavour to the soup but also adds colour. Buy all spices in small quantities and store them in a cool dark place.
Calories: 220 kcal
Carbohydrates: 34 g
Protein: 14 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 7 mg
Sodium: 322 mg
Potassium: 662 mg
Fiber: 9 g
Sugar: 10 g
Vitamin A: 442 IU
Vitamin C: 15 mg
Calcium: 84 mg
Iron: 2 mg