Deep Dish Apricot Streusel
- 6 oz shortcrust pastry
- 8 oz dried apricots soaked overnight
- 4 oz butter
- grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup Demerara raw sugar
- 1/2 level tsp 2.5 ml ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/3 cup wholemeal flour
- 2 oz rolled oats
- Roll out the pastry and use to line a 1.1-litre (2-pint) pie dish. Bake blind in the oven at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for 20 minutes.
- Drain the apricots and simmer, covered in fresh water, for about 1 hour until tender.
- Drain the apricots and liquidise or press through a sieve. Add 50 g (2 oz) of the butter and the lemon rind and juice and beat until the butter melts.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in 50 g (2 oz) of the sugar, the cinnamon and beaten eggs. Pour into the pie dish.
- Mix the wholemeal flour and oats together in a bowl. Cut the remaining butter into small pieces and rub into the flour mixture.
- Stir in the remaining sugar and sprinkle the mixture over the apricot filling.
- Bake in the oven at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for 25-30 minutes until the topping is lightly browned.
- Serve warm or well chilled with pouring custard or clotted cream.
Calories: 463 kcal
Carbohydrates: 68 g
Protein: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 11 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 95 mg
Sodium: 298 mg
Potassium: 574 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 37 g
Vitamin A: 1919 IU
Vitamin C: 10 mg
Calcium: 53 mg
Iron: 3 mg