Duchesse Potatoes (Pommes Duchesse)
Duchesse Potato Mixture (see below)
- 2.2 lb potatoes
- 2 1/2 oz butter
- 3 egg yolks
- salt and pepper
- 2 oz melted butter
- 2 eggs eggwash
- Place the mixture into a piping bag with a star tube.
- Pipe onto a greased baking sheet in a spiral shape with a base of 2 cm to a height of 2.5 cm, allowing 2 pieces per portion.
- Sprinkle the surface of the potatoes with eggwash.
- Place in the oven at 200°C until the outer surface turns a light golden colour and the inside is hot.
duchesse potato mixture (pommes duchesse)
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 20 - 25 minutes until cooked.
- Drain and place the pan on the stove to dry out any surplus water.
- Pass the potatoes through a sieve and return to a clean saucepan. Add the butter, egg yolks and seasoning and stir with a wooden spatule over heat until the potato mixture is well bound but not overmixed.
If the mixture is to be piped through a piping tube it needs to be a little softer than for its other use; to soften it a little more butter should be used. Hand-moulded Duchesse Mixture needs to be on the firm side as there is a tendency for the moulded potato to disintegrate when fried. To adjust it potato flour or powder may be added as necessary.
Calories: 330 kcal
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Protein: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 12 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 198 mg
Sodium: 187 mg
Potassium: 735 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 744 IU
Vitamin C: 33 mg
Calcium: 45 mg
Iron: 2 mg