Potato Puffs (Pommes De Terre Soufflees)
- 1 lb Potatoes cut into 1/4 cm (1/8 in) slices
- Sufficient vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 1 tsp Salt
- Put the slices into a large bowl of water and set aside for 30 minutes. Drain and dry thoroughly on kitchen towels.
- Fill two large saucepans one-third full with oil. Heat the oil in one pan until it reaches 170°C (325 °F) on a deep-fat thermometer, or until a small cube of stale bread dropped into the oil turns golden in 65 seconds. Heat the oil in the second pan until it reaches 190°C (375 °F) on a deep-fat thermometer or until a small cube of stale bread dropped into the oil turns golden in 40 seconds.
- Drop the potato slices into the first pan and fry for 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the slices to the second pan and fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until they puff up. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen towels.
- Sprinkle over the salt and serve at once.
Calories: 175 kcal
Carbohydrates: 40 g
Protein: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 1176 mg
Potassium: 955 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 2 g
Vitamin A: 5 IU
Vitamin C: 45 mg
Calcium: 28 mg
Iron: 2 mg