Crab Meat Balls
Delicious as a first course or a cocktail snack, crab meat balls can be made ahead, then coated and fried at the last minute
- 1 lb fresh or frozen crab meat chopped finely
- 4 slices white bread crusts removed and made into crumbs
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp flour
- 4 floz milk
- 1/2 red or green chilli seeded and finely chopped
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 eggs beaten Dry breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying
- Combine the crab meat with the fresh breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Melt the butter and add the flour off the heat. Stir in the milk and return to moderate heat. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir the white sauce into the crab meat and breadcrumbs, adding the chilli, onion and parsley. Season with salt to taste, cover and allow to cool completely.
- Shape the cold mixture into 1 inch balls with floured hands.
- Coat with beaten egg using a fork to turn balls in the mixture or use a pastry brush to coat with egg.
- Coat with the dry breadcrumbs.
- Fry in oil in a deep saute pan, saucepan or deep-fat fryer at 180°C (350°F) until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes per batch of 6. Turn occasionally while frying.
- Drain on paper and sprinkle lightly with salt.
Calories: 164 kcal
Carbohydrates: 11 g
Protein: 18 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 93 mg
Sodium: 773 mg
Potassium: 231 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 2 g
Vitamin A: 264 IU
Vitamin C: 7 mg
Calcium: 112 mg
Iron: 1 mg