Apple-Stuffed Veal Chops
- 4 veal chops each weighing about 9 oz, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 large cooking apples
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons sultanas
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 oz margarine or butter
- 2 tablespoons sultanas soaked in 1 tablespoon sherry, to garnish
- Using a very sharp knife, make a pocket in each chop: slit horizontally, from the outside edge to the bone, cutting through to within 1 cm (1/2 inch) of the edge.
- Quarter, peel and core 1 apple. Cut into 5 mm(1/4 inch) slices and put into a bowl with the lemon juice. Toss the apple slices in the lemon juice, then add the sultanas and 1 teaspoon of ground cloves. Mix together well.
- Spoon the apple mixture into the pocket of each chop, dividing it equally between them. Secure the slit edges with wooden cocktail sticks. Sprinkle the chops with the remaining ground cloves and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the oven to 110C/225F/Gas 1/4.
- Heat the oil and margarine in a large frying-pan, add the veal chops and fry them over high heat for 2 - 3 minutes on each side, to brown and seal. Lower the heat and cook for 10 - 15 minutes on each side, until cooked through and the juices run clear when the meat is pierced with a sharp knife.
- Peel and core the remaining apple. Slice into rings. Using a fish slice, transfer chops to a warmed serving platter and keep warm in the oven. Add the apple rings to the frying-pan and fry gently, turning carefully so that the rings do not break up, until golden brown.
- Arrange the fried apple rings on top of the chops, spoon the sultanas into the centre of the apple rings and serve the apple-stuffed veal chops at once
Calories: 548 kcal
Carbohydrates: 26 g
Protein: 44 g
Saturated Fat: 13 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 194 mg
Sodium: 248 mg
Potassium: 924 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 19 g
Vitamin A: 230 IU
Vitamin C: 12 mg
Calcium: 60 mg
Iron: 2 mg