Butter sauce is a rich, creamy sauce perfect for fish, vegetables, pasta, or anything else your heart desires. It's homemade and best of all, it's super quick to make.
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion or shallot
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 cup unsalted butter chilled
- salt and white pepper
- lemon juice to taste
- Place the onion or shallot and vinegar in a saucepan. Add 45 ml (3 tbsp) water and bring to the boil. Boil until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Meanwhile, cut the butter into chunks. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting so that the liquid is below simmering point.
- Whisking constantly, add a piece of butter. Continue adding the butter, one piece at a time, whisking to melt each piece before adding the next.
- The sauce should be pale, creamy in appearance and slightly thickened - rather like single cream.
- Take care not to let the mixture become too hot or it will curdle.
- Remove the pan from the heat when all the butter has been incorporated.
- Taste the sauce, then add salt, white pepper and lemon juice to taste.
- Serve at once with poached fish.
makes about 8 floz
Calories: 1648 kcal
Carbohydrates: 4 g
Protein: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 117 g
Trans Fat: 7 g
Cholesterol: 488 mg
Sodium: 30 mg
Potassium: 133 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 2 g
Vitamin A: 5674 IU
Vitamin C: 2 mg
Calcium: 64 mg
Iron: 1 mg