Plaice and Mushroom Turnovers
These delicious individual pies make a warming family lunch or supper dish.
- 4 plaice fillets skinned
- Salt and pepper
- 4 floz milk
- 4 oz button mushrooms trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsps butter
- Juice 1 lemon
- 3 tbsps hazelnut or lemon, stuffing mix
- 12 oz puff pastry
- Beaten egg for glazing Poppy seeds, for sprinkling
- Season the plaice fillets and roll them up Swiss roll fashion. Secure each roll with a cocktail stick and poach gently in the milk for about 10 minutes in a preheated oven, 180°C (350°F)/Gas Mark 4.
- Drain the fish and allow it to cool. Remove the cocktail sticks. Increase the oven temperature to 200°C (400°F) Gas Mark 6.
- Put the mushrooms and butter into a pan with the lemon juice. Cook over a moderate heat for about 5 minutes.
- Allow the mushrooms to cool and then stir in the stuffing mix.
- Roll out the pastry, quite thinly, into 4 circles, each 6 inches in diameter. Brush the edges with beaten egg.
- Put a fish roll into the centre of each pastry circle and top with a quarter of the mushroom mixture. Pull the pastry edges up and over the fish and pinch together to seal.
- Place the turnovers on a greased baking sheet and glaze with the beaten egg. Sprinkle with a few poppy seeds.
- Bake in the reset oven for about 25 minutes, or until well risen, puffed and golden. Serve piping hot.
Calories: 591 kcal
Carbohydrates: 42 g
Protein: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 13 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 19 mg
Sodium: 277 mg
Potassium: 237 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 225 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 53 mg
Iron: 3 mg