Bean and Vegetable Stew
Vegetarian bean and vegetable stew recipe. A hearty and delicious vegetarian stew for the winter.
- 6 oz cannellini beans soaked overnight and drained
- 1 1/4 pints chicken stock
- 1 oz butter
- 8 oz courgettes trimmed and sliced
- 8 oz aubergines trimmed and sliced
- 4 oz celery trimmed and sliced
- 4 oz onions skinned and sliced
- 4 oz red peppers seeded and sliced
- 1/4 pint dry cider
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- salt and freshly ground peppe
- Put the beans into a pan with the stock and bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. The beans should be tender but still a little firm.
- Melt the butter in a large deep frying pan and cook the vegetables a few at a time until golden.
- Add the vegetables to the beans and stock. Add the cider and thyme, cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes, or until the beans and vegetables are tender.
- Blend the cornflour to a paste with a little cold water and stir into the pan. Bring to the boil, stirring and cook until thickened. Adjust the seasoning before serving.
Calories: 203 kcal
Carbohydrates: 25 g
Protein: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 20 mg
Sodium: 386 mg
Potassium: 611 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 9 g
Vitamin A: 1328 IU
Vitamin C: 51 mg
Calcium: 68 mg
Iron: 2 mg