West Indian Fish Patties
An excellent alternative to Tabasco is Picka peppa sauce, which is found in shops specializing in West Indian food. This is sweet as well as hot: about 1/4 teaspoon is enough.
- 9 oz cod or haddock fillets
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1/2 pint cold water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1/4 red pepper deseeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped tomatoes
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 dashes Tabasco
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 13 oz frozen puff pastry defrosted
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
- Put the fish in a heavy pan with the vinegar and water, bring just to the boil, then lower the heat slightly and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Drain the fish and, when cool enough to handle, skin, bone and flake the flesh.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and fry gently for 5 minutes until soft and lightly coloured. Add the red pepper and parsley and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the flaked fish, together with tomatoes, lemon juice, Tabasco, 1 teaspoon salt and a generous sprinkling of pepper. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for a further 10-12 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Transfer to a bowl, taste, adjust seasoning and leave to cool.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 40 x 30 cm/16 x 12 inch rectangle.
- Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas7.
- Cut the pastry into twelve 10 cm/4 inch squares. Place a portion of the fish mixture in the centre of each square, then lightly dampen the pastry edges with cold water and fold each square into a triangle. Press the edges together, then crimp with a fork to seal well.
- Arrange the patties well apart on 2 baking sheets and brush the surfaces with egg white, then prick each patty with a fork 2 - 3 times. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until golden brown.
Calories: 402 kcal
Carbohydrates: 30 g
Protein: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 23 mg
Sodium: 276 mg
Potassium: 222 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 301 IU
Vitamin C: 14 mg
Calcium: 21 mg
Iron: 2 mg