Mixed Fish Lasagne
You can vary the fish used in this dish according to personal taste and availability, although it is best to include one smoked variety. The fillets will need to be skinned and boned, or you can ask the fishmonger to do this for you. If using 'easy-cook' lasagne, save the liquid from the can of sweetcorn to add to the sauce. The lasagne will not cook evenly if it overlaps in the Oven, so use a square or rectangular Oven dish if possible.
- 12 oz fresh cod fillet
- 12 oz smoked cod fillet
- 1 medium onion
- 1 1/2 oz butter
- 1 1/2 oz plain flour
- 1 pint semi-skimmed or whole milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 oz lasagne or spinach lasagne
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 7 oz tin sweetcorn no salt or sugar added
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 oz Parmesan cheese
- Parsley for garnish
- Skin and bone the fillets of fish and cut into 1 in (25 mm) squares. Peel and finely chop the onion. Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the chopped onion and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, cook for a further minute, then gradually stir in the milk and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the bay leaf and the fish. Mix well, cover and leave aside for 20 minutes, and the sauce will start to cook the fish.
- Add the oil and lasagne to a very large saucepan of salted boiling water, and cook according to the instructions on the packet. Drain thoroughly.
- Stir the fish and remove the bay leaf, then stir in the chopped parsley. Drain and reserve the sweetcorn liquid if you are adding this to the sauce.
- Stir in the sweetcorn and season to taste. Line a square or rectangular Ovenproof dish with a quarter of the sauce, cover with a third of the lasagne, add another quarter of the sauce and layer with more lasagne and continue, finishing with a layer of sauce.
- Grate the Parmesan cheese and sprinkle evenly over the top, then place in the Oven and bake for 45 minutes, until the top is golden-brown and the lasagne is bubbling. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Oven : Preheat to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6)
Calories: 603 kcal
Carbohydrates: 59 g
Protein: 47 g
Saturated Fat: 10 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 113 mg
Sodium: 399 mg
Potassium: 1146 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 11 g
Vitamin A: 838 IU
Vitamin C: 9 mg
Calcium: 319 mg
Iron: 2 mg