Small Fish Fillet Batter
- 1/4 lb self raising self rising flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cooking oil or melted butter
- 4 1/3 floz water or milk and water
- 2 egg whites
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and add the oil or butter and some of the liquid.
- Gradually work in the flour from the sides, then beat well until smooth.
- Stir in the rest of the liquid.
- Just before using, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Give the batter a final beat and fold in the egg whites lightly.
- Alternatively, use an electric blender. Put the water and oil into the goblet. Add the flour and salt and blend until smooth.
- Just before using, whisk the egg whites until stiff in a separate bowl.
- Give the batter a quick mix, then pour it down the sides of the bowl containing the egg whites.
- Fold the egg whites into the mixture lightly.
- This makes a crisp, light batter suitable for fruit fritters and small fish fillets.
makes 8 1/2 floz (250 ml)
Calories: 541 kcal
Carbohydrates: 83 g
Protein: 20 g
Saturated Fat: 7 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 30 mg
Sodium: 790 mg
Potassium: 215 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 352 IU
Calcium: 29 mg
Iron: 1 mg