- 1/2 oz butter
- 1 small onion skinned and finely chopped
- 1 lb fresh spinach trimmed and finely chopped, or 8 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 5 floz fresh single cream
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 oz Cheddar cheese grated
- 1 oz fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper lemon slices to garnish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, stir in the onion and cook gently for about 5 minutes, until soft.
- Stir in the spinach and cook for a further 5 minutes if using fresh spinach, 2-3 minutes if using frozen, stirring occasionally, until soft. Stir in the cream.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and stir in the spinach mixture, cheese, breadcrumbs and nutmeg. Season to taste. Spoon the mixture into 6 ramekin dishes, level the surfaces, cover each one with foil and place in a roasting tin, half filled with hot water.
- Bake at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for 1 hour, until firm to the touch and a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove the dishes and leave for 5 minutes.
- Turn out on to individual plates and garnish with lemon slices.
Calories: 187 kcal
Carbohydrates: 9 g
Protein: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 8 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 97 mg
Sodium: 190 mg
Potassium: 503 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 7572 IU
Vitamin C: 24 mg
Calcium: 173 mg
Iron: 3 mg