Russian Spinach And Sorrel Soup
This Russian Spinach And Sorrel Soup recipe is an easy soup to make with healthy ingredients.
- 2 1/4 lb spinach
- 8 oz small sorrel leaves
- 1 medium-sized carrot peeled and very finely chopped
- 1 large Spanish onion peeled and very finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 oz butter
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pint beef stock
- 4 hard-boiled eggs salt and black peppercorns
For the smetana:
- 3 1/2 floz whipping cream stiffly beaten
- 2 floz soured cream or Greek yoghurt
- 1 lemon
- Wash the spinach very thoroughly, using only the crisp, fresh and tender leaves and removing all but the thinnest stalks.
- Remove the stalks from the sorrel, wash and set aside.
- 3 .Sweat the spinach in a covered saucepan for 2 minutes with a pinch of salt and no added water. Place the spinach in a sieve and refresh under running cold water; squeeze out all the moisture. Puree in the food processor.
- Sweat the finely chopped onion, carrot and parsley in the butter for 10 minutes over a low heat in a large covered saucepan, stirring at frequent intervals. Stir in the flour and continue stirring while cooking for about 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and pour in all the boiling stock at once; beat vigorously to prevent lumps forming.
- Stir in the pureed spinach, the bay leaf and a few whole black peppercorns, these last 2 tied in a small piece of muslin. Simmer gently for 10 minutes; shred the sorrel leaves into a chiffonade, add to the soup and simmer for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Draw aside from the heat, remove the peppercorns and add salt to taste.
- Slice the hard-boiled eggs thinly; make the smetana by mixing the stiffly beaten cream, the soured cream and a little lemon juice to taste.
- Ladle the soup into individual heated soup bowls; place 1 tbsp of the smetana in each and float the egg slices on top (one egg per serving). Serve at once.
Calories: 1383 kcal
Carbohydrates: 98 g
Protein: 79 g
Saturated Fat: 45 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 860 mg
Sodium: 2319 mg
Potassium: 7555 mg
Fiber: 32 g
Sugar: 20 g
Vitamin A: 115229 IU
Vitamin C: 476 mg
Calcium: 1376 mg
Iron: 40 mg