Spiced Banana Dumplings
Do not stretch pastry or it will shrink during baking. To prevent this, let the dough rest for 5-10 minutes after rolling out.
- 13 oz frozen puff pastry defrosted
- 3 large firm bananas
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 oz caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 1 egg beaten
- Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas7. Brush a baking sheet with water.
- On a floured board, roll out the pastry into a rectangle about 50 x 37.5 cm (20 x 15 inches. Trim the edges with a knife to straighten them. Let the pastry rest for 5-10
- minutes, then cut into 12 squares about 12.5 cm/5 inches each.
- Cut each banana into quarters crossways and toss in lemon juice to prevent discoloration. Place 1 banana quarter diagonally in the centre of each pastry square. Mix the sugar and spice, then sprinkle 1 teaspoon over each banana piece.
- Brush the edges of 1 dough square with some of the beaten egg, then wrap the banana. Repeat for each dumpling.
- Brush the dumplings with the remaining beaten egg and sprinkle over the remaining spiced sugar. Arrange the dumplings on the baking sheet, then bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until the pastry is puffed up and golden brown.
- Carefully lift the dumplings with a fish slice. Serve warm.
- Roll up the spiced banana dumplings as shown below:
- Bring the 2 opposite corners of the pastry together across the length of the banana. Overlap the ends of the dough over the top of the banana and press firmly to seal.
- Bring the other 2 corners to. the centre and overlap them on top of the first 2 corners. Press firmly to seal.
- Fold over the open edges slightly and press to seal.
Calories: 229 kcal
Carbohydrates: 28 g
Protein: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 14 mg
Sodium: 82 mg
Potassium: 132 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 11 g
Vitamin A: 39 IU
Vitamin C: 3 mg
Calcium: 8 mg
Iron: 1 mg