Quick Beef Curry
Curry powder is made from many different spices, including allspice, cardamom, chilli, cumin, saffron and turmeric. It is available in various strengths, from mild to very hot, so be sure to check the label carefully.
- 1 lb lean minced beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed (optional)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 dessert apple peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons sultanas or seedless raisins
- 10 oz can condensed beef consomme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz mushrooms quartered
- 1 Place the beef, onion and garlic in a saucepan and fry over moderate heat until the beef is well browned, stirring constantly to break up lumps.
- 2 Stir in the spices and cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the apple,
- sultanas and the beef consomme. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3 Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- 4 Stir in the mushrooms and simmer a further 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve at once.
Calories: 230 kcal
Carbohydrates: 17 g
Protein: 27 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 70 mg
Sodium: 345 mg
Potassium: 702 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 7 g
Vitamin A: 42 IU
Vitamin C: 6 mg
Calcium: 36 mg
Iron: 4 mg