Curried Cream Of Cauliflower Soup
Curry is the perfect flavouring for cauliflower.
- 12 oz cauliflower
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 4 parsley stalks
- scant 1 1/2 pints 800 ml chicken stock
- 7 fl oz 200 ml single cream
- 1 tsp cornflour or potato flour
- 2 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 dried chilli pepper seeded (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 oz finely grated Gruyere cheese
- salt and white pepper
- Trim and wash the cauliflower and cut it into small pieces; you will need about 1 1/4 lb (600 g) net weight. Trim and prepare the celery and peel the onion; slice them both thinly.
- Rinse the parsley stalks and chop coarsely.
- add the curry powder and the crumbled chilli pepper (minus the seeds) to the chicken stock.
- Place all these vegetables in the stock in a large saucepan. Cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Draw aside from the heat and beat with a hand-held electric beater until smooth or cool a little before processing briefly in the blender.
- Mix the cornflour or potato flour with approx. 5 fl oz (150 ml) of the cream and stir into the soup; place over a low heat and continue stirring until it boils and thickens slightly. You can prepare the soup up to this point in advance and set aside or refrigerate until shortly before serving.
- Just before serving, reheat to just below boiling point. Beat the egg yolks lightly with the remaining cream and the cheese and then beat a little at a time into the soup with a balloon whisk.
- Do not allow to boil. Keep beating over a gentle heat as the soup thickens slightly, take off the heat and continue beating for about 30 seconds.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, Sprinkle the finished soup with the coriander just before serving. Rub the slices of bread with the cut surfaces of a garlic clove, cut into small squares and fry in butter in a non-stick frying pan.
- Curry is the perfect flavouring for cauliflower.
Calories: 203 kcal
Carbohydrates: 16 g
Protein: 13 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Cholesterol: 121 mg
Sodium: 336 mg
Potassium: 565 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 6 g
Vitamin A: 453 IU
Vitamin C: 45 mg
Calcium: 204 mg
Iron: 2 mg