Californian Strawberry and Spinach Salad
Many chefs in California delight in creating imaginative dishes by combining unusual ingredients. This eye-catching salad is easy to prepare, and can be served as a light starter or side salad.
- 2 oz shelled whole fresh almonds
- 8 oz fresh young spinach
- 1 lb ripe strawberries
- 1 bulb fennel
for the dressing
- Juice of 1/2 orange
- 1 teaspoon smooth French mustard
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fruit vinegar or white wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Roast the almonds on a baking tray in the oven for about 7 minutes, shaking the tray and checking frequently to avoid burning. When they are well roasted, tip them into a heat-proof bowl.
- Wash the spinach thoroughly and pat dry. Discard any coarse leaves, or stems. Wash, hull and halve the strawberries.
- Wash the fennel. Remove the feathery tops and hard base, and cut into thin strips.
- To make the dressing, put all the ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake vigorously, then taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Put the salad into a large bowl, pour over the dressing and toss thoroughly. Try to leave plenty of strawberries on top of the salad when serving.
Calories: 216 kcal
Carbohydrates: 19 g
Protein: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 91 mg
Potassium: 850 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 7 g
Vitamin A: 5425 IU
Vitamin C: 93 mg
Calcium: 142 mg
Iron: 3 mg