Danish cured pork loin steaks are available from large supermarkets. They are an excellent buy as they are tender and lean, with very little waste. Or buy a 750 g (l 1/2 lb) boneless pork loin joint and cut it into 8 pieces.
- 8 cured pork loin steaks trimmed of all visible fat
- freshly ground black pepper
- 13 oz frozen puff pastry defrosted
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 1/2 oz dry white breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated or very finely chopped onion
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- pinch of cayenne
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- celery salt or salt
- Put the pork steaks between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper and beat with a rolling pin until 5 mm(1/4 inch) thick. Season the steaks on both sides with black pepper.
- Mix together all the stuffing ingredients, except the melted butter and salt. Add enough melted butter to bind the mixture and season to taste with celery salt and pepper.
- Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
- Spread the stuffing mixture on 4 of the steaks, to within 1 cm (1/2 inch) of the edges. Cover with the remaining steaks, to make sandwiches with stuffing filling.
- Cut the pastry into 4 equal pieces and roll out each piece on a floured surface to a 20-23 cm/8 - 9 inch square. Trim the edges of each square. Mix the egg yolk with the cold water and brush the pastry squares with a little of this mixture, making sure you brush right to the edges of the squares.
- Place a pork 'sandwich' on one-half of each square, fold the pastry over and press the edges together to seal. Trim the edges to a semicircular shape, leaving a 2 cm (3/4 inch) pastry border around the pork. Seal edges, knock up and flute. Cut 3 small slits in the top of each turnover with a sharp knife.
- With a fish slice, transfer the turnovers to a dampened baking sheet
- and brush them all over with the remaining egg yolk mixture. Bake in oven for 20 - 25 minutes, until deep golden brown. Serve hot.
Calories: 726 kcal
Carbohydrates: 34 g
Protein: 45 g
Saturated Fat: 15 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 172 mg
Sodium: 360 mg
Potassium: 760 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 458 IU
Vitamin C: 4 mg
Calcium: 45 mg
Iron: 3 mg