Serve them on a plate or in a napkin-lined basket. They can be eaten hot or cold, but are best when just slightly warm. Add the salt very carefully?the bacon will be salty and too much celery or garlic salt could spoil the taste of the puffs. Spend extra time ensuring the puffs are pressed together firmly or they will come apart during cooking. If you have trouble getting the pastry to stay sealed, flour your fingers and press again.
- 4 oz smoked bacon slices rinds removed and finely diced
- 1/2 oz margarine or butter
- 2 oz mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- celery or garlic salt optional
- freshly ground black pepper
- 7 1/2 oz frozen puff pastry defrosted
- 4 oz liver pate
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
to garnish (optional)
- lettuce tomato slices
- Melt the margarine in a frying-pan over moderate heat, add the bacon and fry for 2 - 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and season to taste with celery salt, if using, and pepper. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Heat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas 6.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface to a square measuring about 30 cm (12 inches). Trim the edges to straighten them, then cut it into 16 squares 7.5 cm (3 inches) each.
- Mash the pate with a fork to soften it then divide it between the 16 squares spreading it roughly in the centre of each one. Top with the bacon and mushroom mixture.
- Brush the beaten egg round the edges of each pastry square. Carefully fold over the pastry to make a triangle, keeping the filling away from the edges. Press the edges of the pastry together firmly to seal them. Brush with beaten egg.
- Put the triangles on a large dampened baking sheet and sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
- Bake for about 10 - 15 minutes until the pastry is puffy and golden. Lift the puffs off the baking sheet at once and cool slightly on a wire rack. Arrange the hot puffs on a plate garnished with lettuce and tomato, if using.
Calories: 517 kcal
Carbohydrates: 27 g
Protein: 16 g
Saturated Fat: 12 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 145 mg
Sodium: 382 mg
Potassium: 263 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 5034 IU
Vitamin C: 2 mg
Calcium: 56 mg
Iron: 4 mg