Lemon Grass Prawns on Crisp Noodle Cake
- 11 oz thin egg noodles
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 lb medium raw king prawns peeled and deveined
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 slices fresh root ginger finely chopped
- 2 lemon grass stalks finely chopped
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 8 floz coconut cream
- 6 kaffir lime leaves optional
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded and cut into 5 cm (2 in) batons
- 1 to mato seeded and cut into strips
- 2 red chillies seeded and finely sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 spring onions finely sliced, and a few coriander sprigs, to garnish
- Cook the egg noodles in a saucepan of boiling water until just tender. Drain, rinse under cold running water
- and drain well.
- Heat 15 ml (1 tbsp) of the oil in a large frying pan. Add the noodles, distributing them evenly, and fry for 4 - 5 minutes until crisp and golden. Turn the noodle cake over and fry the other side. Alternatively, make four individual cakes. Keep hot.
- In a bowl, toss the prawns with the ground coriander, turmeric, garlic, ginger and lemon grass. Add salt and
- pepper to taste.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan. Add the shallots, fry for 1 minute, then add the prawns and fry for 2 minutes more. Using a slotted spoon remove the prawns.
- Stir the tomato puree and coconut cream into the mixture remaining in the pan. Stir in lime juice to taste and season with the fish sauce. Bring the sauce to a simmer, return the prawns to the sauce, then add the kaffir lime leaves, if using, and the cucumber. Simmer gently until the prawns are cooked and the sauce is reduced to a nice coating consistency.
- Add the tomato, stir until just warmed through, then add the chillies. Serve on top of the crisp noodle cake(s), garnished with sliced spring onions and coriander sprigs.
Calories: 769 kcal
Carbohydrates: 72 g
Protein: 35 g
Saturated Fat: 21 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 244 mg
Sodium: 1538 mg
Potassium: 976 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 6 g
Vitamin A: 914 IU
Vitamin C: 47 mg
Calcium: 151 mg
Iron: 5 mg