Winter Prawns or Shrimps
Prawns or shrimps are a winter delicacy and we have a splendid recipe for you to cook them.
- 10 Egg whites
- 2 tsp Cornflour cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 6 oz Shelled prawns or shrimps
- Sufficient vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 1/4 tsp Monosodium glutamate MSG, (optional)
- 2 oz Cooked chicken minced (ground)
- 2 Tbs Chopped chives
- Beat 1 egg white, the cornflour (cornstarch) and salt together until they form a smooth paste. Arrange the prawns or shrimps in the paste and stir gently until they are coated.
- Fill a large saucepan one-third full with oil and heat until it reaches 185°C (360°F) on a deep-fat thermometer, or until a small cube of stale bread dropped into the oil turns golden brown in 50 seconds. Put the prawns or shrimps in a deep-frying basket and carefully lower them into the oil. Fry for 1 minute. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen towels. Set aside.
- Beat the remaining egg whites with the monosodium glutamate (MSG), if you are using it, until they form stiff peaks. Pile half the mixture on a dish and arrange the prawns or shrimps over it. Using a spatula, gently and carefully spread the remaining egg white mixture over the prawns or shrimps.
- Tilt the dish over the saucepan containing the hot oil and very carefully slide the egg and prawn or shrimp mixture into the oil. Fry the mixture for 3 minutes, basting the top with oil if it is not fully covered. Remove the pan from the heat and carefully lift out the mixture. Drain on kitchen towels, then transfer to a warmed serving dish.
- Sprinkle over the chicken and chives and serve at once.
Calories: 103 kcal
Carbohydrates: 2 g
Protein: 20 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 79 mg
Sodium: 477 mg
Potassium: 272 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 71 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 36 mg
Iron: 1 mg