Golden Syrup Roll
- 2 2/3 cup self-raising flour
- 5 oz shredded suet
- 1/3 cup Demerara raw sugar
- 1 egg
- 5 floz milk
- 3/4 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 8 oz golden syrup substitute light corn syrup
- 2 oz walnuts chopped
- Mix the flour, suet and 2 oz of the sugar well together.
- Bind to a firm dough with the egg and milk, beaten together.
- Roll out the pastry to an oblong measuring about 38 x 30.5 cm (15 x 12 inches).
- Scatter over the crumbs to within 2.5 cm (1 inch) of the edges.
- Spoon the golden syrup and half the nuts on top.
- Dampen the edges and roll up like a Swiss roll from the narrow end, sealing the ends. Place seamside down in a well greased 28 x 10 cm (11 x 4-inch) ovenproof dish.
- Mix the remaining nuts and sugar together and scatter over the roll.
- Bake in the oven at 190°C (375°F) mark 5 for about 1 hour, covering lightly when well browned.
- Spoon over golden syrup before serving with clotted cream or custard.
Calories: 1062 kcal
Carbohydrates: 140 g
Protein: 18 g
Saturated Fat: 21 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 69 mg
Sodium: 185 mg
Potassium: 260 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 65 g
Vitamin A: 124 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 114 mg
Iron: 2 mg