Peach and Hazelnut Tart
- 12 oz rich sweet shortcrust pastry
- 5 ripe peaches
- 3 tablespoons brandy or marsala wine
- 4 oz hazelnuts or ground almonds
- 1 oz semolina
- 1 oz light soft brown sugar
- 3 oz caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- beaten egg or milk to glaze
- Line a shallow 23cm (9 in) tart tin with 175g (6 oz) pastry and pre-bake or bake blind. Reserve the remaining pastry and keep wrapped and chilled.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C (375°F) Gas 5.
- Place the peaches in a large bowl. Pour over enough boiling water to cover and leave for 1 minute. Drain, skin, halve and stone the peaches, discarding the water, then cut them into thin slices. Place the peach slices into a bowl, spoon in the brandy or wine and give them a good stir. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, roast the hazelnuts on a baking sheet in the oven for 10 minutes. Cool slightly, then grind them in a food processor until finely chopped. Reserve about 15 g (1/2 oz) ground nuts and set aside.
- Put the remaining ground nuts in a bowl with the semolina and soft brown sugar, mix well, then spread over the pre-baked pastry base. Place the peach slices on top and pour over any juice and alcohol left in the bowl. Mix the caster sugar and cinnamon together, reserve about 1 tablespoon, then sprinkle the rest over the peaches.
- Roll out the remaining pastry very thickly for the lid, incorporating the reserved ground nuts while rolling. Place over the tart and dampen and seal the edges. Put a slit in the centre, brush with beaten egg or milk and dust with the reserved caster sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes but check towards the end of this period that the tart surface has not gone too brown - if so, cover lightly with foil. The tart should be crisp on the outside with the pastry clinging to the peaches inside.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with thick double cream.
Calories: 328 kcal
Carbohydrates: 52 g
Protein: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 20 mg
Sodium: 215 mg
Potassium: 234 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 23 g
Vitamin A: 336 IU
Vitamin C: 6 mg
Calcium: 49 mg
Iron: 2 mg