Baked Ginger Suet Roll
- 1 2/3 cup self raising self rising flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 4 oz shredded suet
- 5 floz milk
- 3 floz ginger marmalade
- 2 oz stem ginger finely chopped
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
- 2 tbls caster sugar superfine granulated
- Mix the flour, ginger, breadcrumbs and suet together in a bowl. Bind to a firm dough with the milk.
- Roll out the pastry to an oblong measuring about 30.5 x 25.5 cm (12 x 10 inches).
- Combine the ginger marmalade with the stem ginger and spread over the pastry to within 2.5 cm (1 inch) of the edges. Dampen the edges and roll up like a Swiss roll from the narrow end, sealing the ends well.
- Place on a baking sheet. Brush with the beaten egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in the oven at 190°C (375°F) mark 5 for 35-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the custard powder and sugar to a smooth paste with a little of the milk.
- Bring the remaining milk to just under boiling point and pour on to the custard mixture, stirring well. Return to the pan and bring to the boil, stirring continuously; simmer tor 25 minutes.
- Lower the heat and carefully stir in the soured cream, then warm through without boiling.
- Serve the baked suet roll with the cream sauce.
Calories: 2189 kcal
Carbohydrates: 253 g
Protein: 36 g
Saturated Fat: 63 g
Cholesterol: 92 mg
Sodium: 183 mg
Potassium: 766 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 87 g
Vitamin A: 299 IU
Vitamin C: 7 mg
Calcium: 248 mg
Iron: 3 mg