Spiced lamb and butternut burger with saffron and cucumber raita
This dish is an elegant twist on a traditional burger. The butternut, lamb, and spices are beautifully complemented by the cool raita.
- 1 3/4 oz peeled weight butternut squash, deseeded and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 small cloves crushed garlic
- 1 1/2 oz peeled weight onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- pinch of ground cumin
- pinch of crushed coriander seeds
- pinch of chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 egg white
- 2 3/4 oz leg of lamb all visible fat removed, minced or finely chopped
for the raita
- 1 3/4 oz cucumber
- 4 tbsp 0% fat Greek-style yoghurt
- pinch of strands saffron soaked in a little warm water for 15 minutes
for the garnish
- 1 beef tomato halved
- 1 small wholemeal bread roll halved
- 1/2 oz mixed salad leaves
- 1/2 lemon for squeezing over the burgers
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Spread the butternut squash out on a non-stick baking tray and cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Remove and cool on a plate.
- Meanwhile, to make the raita, grate the cucumber into a small bowl, add the yoghurt and saffron and mix together. Cover and chill in the fridge.
- Dry-sweat the garlic and onion in a frying pan for 3-4 minutes, or until soft.
- Using a fork, mash the cold butternut squash in a bowl, then add the basil, cumin, coriander, chilli powder, marjoram, egg white and lamb together with
- the garlic and onion. Mix thoroughly, form into 2 equal-sized burgers and put on a non-stick baking tray.
- Preheat the grill. Grill the burgers and tomato for 4 - 5 minutes on each side, or until the burgers are cooked through and the tomato is golden brown.
- Lightly toast the bread roll halves.
- Serve each burger on a bread roll half with the grilled tomato and salad leaves. Squeeze over a little lemon. Serve the raita separately.
Calories: 246 kcal
Carbohydrates: 35 g
Protein: 24 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 34 mg
Sodium: 111 mg
Potassium: 1508 mg
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 16 g
Vitamin A: 8459 IU
Vitamin C: 96 mg
Calcium: 184 mg
Iron: 3 mg