French Beans with Bacon
Dwarf French beans are delicious freshly picked from the garden, but by the end of the season everyone has probably had their fill of them. Try this unusual way to serve beans and give the family a real treat. The recipe can be made equally well with frozen or runner beans.
- 1 lb fresh French beans trimmed, or 10 oz packet frozen whole green beans, thawed
- Butter for frying
- 1 bunch of spring onions topped, tailed and chopped, or 1/2 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 oz streaky bacon rind removed and chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp fresh single cream
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped mint or parsley
- Cook the beans in boiling salted water for 12 to 15 minutes or until just tender. Drain. Cook frozen beans according to the directions on the packet.
- Meanwhile, melt a knob of butter in a frying pan. Add the onions and bacon and fry until the onions are golden and the bacon pieces are crisp.
- 3., Stir in the drained beans and season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat through, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the cream and chopped mint or parsley and transfer to a hot serving dish. Serve immediately.
Calories: 200 kcal
Carbohydrates: 9 g
Protein: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 7 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 35 mg
Sodium: 202 mg
Potassium: 332 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 984 IU
Vitamin C: 15 mg
Calcium: 62 mg
Iron: 1 mg