Fig Fritters (Bunuelos De Higos)
- 5 1/3 oz plain flour plus a little for dusting
- 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites
- 6 3/4 floz white wine
- finely grated zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar plus extra for dusting
- 8 figs with stalks sunflower oil for deep-frying
- an electric deep-fryer optional
- Put the flour in a bowl, make a hollow in the centre and break in the whole egg. Add a little of the wine and gradually whisk in the flour from the edges so it doesn't go in all at once. Mix in the rest of the wine and lemon zest, cover with clingfilm and set aside for 1 hour.
- Put the egg whites in a bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Add the sugar a spoonful at a time, whisking to make a shiny meringue.
- If the batter has thickened beyond thick cream stage, stir in a drop of water to loosen it a little. Fold in the meringue.
- Fill a saucepan or deep-fryer one-third full with the oil, or to the manufacturer's recommended level. Heat the oil to 190°C (375°F).
- Dust the figs with a little flour and dip them into the batter. Add the figs to the hot oil, in batches if necessary. When the batter turns crisp and golden, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Dust with caster sugar and serve while hot.
Calories: 319 kcal
Carbohydrates: 58 g
Protein: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 82 mg
Sodium: 36 mg
Potassium: 338 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 26 g
Vitamin A: 261 IU
Vitamin C: 2 mg
Calcium: 58 mg
Iron: 3 mg