Spicy Sweetcorn Fritters
Cornmeal can be found in most supermarkets or health food shops. Yellow in colour, it acts as a binding agent in this recipe.
- 8 oz canned or frozen sweetcorn
- 2 red chillies deseeded and very finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 10 lime leaves very finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander cilantro, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 2 3/4 oz cornmeal
- 3 1/2 oz fine green beans very finely sliced
- groundnut oil for frying
- Place the sweetcorn, chillies, garlic, lime leaves, coriander (cilantro), egg and cornmeal in a large mixing bowl, and stir to combine.
- Add the green beans to the ingredients in the bowl and mix well, using a wooden spoon.
- Divide the mixture into small, evenly sized balls. Flatten the balls of mixture between the palms of your hands to form rounds.
- Heat a little groundnut oil in a preheated wok or large frying pan
- (skillet) until really hot. Cook the fritters, in batches, until brown and crispy on the outside, turning occasionally.
- Leave the fritters to drain on absorbent kitchen paper (paper towels) while frying the remaining fritters.
- Transfer the fritters to warm serving plates and serve immediately.
- Kaffir lime leaves are dark green, glossy leaves that have a lemony-lime flavour. They can be
- bought from specialist Asian stores either fresh or dried. Fresh leaves impart the most delicious flavour.
Calories: 659 kcal
Carbohydrates: 122 g
Protein: 25 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 164 mg
Sodium: 83 mg
Potassium: 1334 mg
Fiber: 17 g
Sugar: 20 g
Vitamin A: 2430 IU
Vitamin C: 156 mg
Calcium: 97 mg
Iron: 6 mg