Cheese, Garlic et Herb Pâté
- 1/2 oz butter
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 3 spring onions scallions, finely chopped
- 4 1/2 oz full-fat soft cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped mixed herbs such as parsley, chives, marjoram, oregano and basil
- 6 oz finely grated mature sharp Cheddar cheese
- 6 slices of white bread from a medium-cut sliced loaf
- mixed salad leaves greens and cherry tomatoes, to serve
- ground paprika
- herb sprigs
- Melt the butter in a small frying pan (skillet) and gently fry the garlic and spring onions (scallions) together for 3 - 4 minutes, until softened. Allow to cool.
- Beat the soft cheese in a large mixing bowl until smooth, then add the garlic and spring onions (scallions). Stir in the herbs, mixing well.
- Add the Cheddar and work the mixture together to form a stiff paste. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- To make the Melba toast, toast the slices of bread on both sides, and then cut off the crusts. Using a sharp bread knife, cut through the slices horizontally to make very thin slices. Cut into triangles and then lightly grill (broil) the untoasted sides until golden.
- Arrange the mixed salad leaves (greens) on 4 serving plates with the cherry tomatoes. Pile the cheese pate on top and sprinkle with a little paprika. Garnish with sprigs of fresh herbs and serve with the Melba toast.
Calories: 416 kcal
Carbohydrates: 23 g
Protein: 16 g
Saturated Fat: 17 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 87 mg
Sodium: 578 mg
Potassium: 189 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 1076 IU
Vitamin C: 2 mg
Calcium: 484 mg
Iron: 3 mg