Dewanee Khitchdi (A delightful blend of rice and pulses)
- 1/4 cup Green gram whole moong, picked, washed
- 1/4 cup Lentil masoor dal, picked, washed 1/4 cup (40 g) Split red gram (arhar dal), picked, washed
- 1/4 cup Bengal gram chana dal, picked, washed
- 14 oz Rice Basmati, washed in a number of changes of water, soaked in enough water to cover for 30 minutes, drained
- 3 1/2 floz Vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric haldi powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp Ginger adrak paste
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic lasan paste
- Heat the oil in a deep pan; add green gram, lentil, split red gram, and Bengal gram; stir to mix well. Reduce heat and stir-fry for 5 - 7 minutes. Add 1 cup water and bring to the boil. Cook until the mixture is tender.
- Add the salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, ginger and garlic pastes; mix well. Add the drained rice and stir to mix well with the cooked gram.
- Add 3 1/2 cups water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and cook until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed.
- Cover with a tight lid and keep in a preheated oven (170°C / 325°F) for 10 minutes.
Calories: 722 kcal
Carbohydrates: 102 g
Protein: 15 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 888 mg
Potassium: 498 mg
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 128 IU
Vitamin C: 2 mg
Calcium: 78 mg
Iron: 3 mg