Coconut Rice Salad
To prepare the coconut, first make holes in 2-3 'eyes' of the coconut with a screwdriver; drain off 'milk'. Give the coconut a sharp blow with a mallet or small hammer. Tap all the way round until the shell breaks. Break up the coconut into manageable pieces and dig out flesh with a knife. Add the peanuts just before serving or they will go soggy if left to stand in the dressing for some time.
- 1 lb long-grain rice
- 3 chicken stock cubes crumbled
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 small coconut broken open and flesh removed, or 8 oz packet shredded coconut
- 4 tablespoons corn or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 bananas
- 6 oz salted peanuts
- Fill a large saucepan with salted water and add the crumbled stock cubes. Bring to the boil, then add the rice and cumin seeds. Stir once to mix the ingredients together, then cover and simmer gently for 20 - 25 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Pour the cooked rice into a colander and rinse well under cold running water. Leave to cool and drain well.
- Meanwhile, grate the coconut flesh finely.
- Put the oil in a large serving bowl with vinegar, parsley, mustard and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Just before serving: peel the bananas and slice them directly into the dressing. Mix lightly. Add the rice, grated coconut and peanuts and fork lightly together.
Calories: 305 kcal
Carbohydrates: 40 g
Protein: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 1 mg
Sodium: 304 mg
Potassium: 288 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 107 IU
Vitamin C: 4 mg
Calcium: 33 mg
Iron: 1 mg