Dal-Bati-Choorma (Pulses-bread-dessert delight)
- 1 3/4 oz Black gram urad dal
- 1 3/4 oz Bengal gram chana dal
- 1 3/4 oz Green gram moong dat
- 1 3/4 oz Red gram arhar dat
- 1 3/4 oz Lentil masoor dal
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric haldi powder
- 8 floz Water
- 2 1/2 oz Ghee
- a pinch Asafoetida hing
- 1/2 tsp Cumin jeera seeds
- 5 Cloves laung
- 2 Onions chopped
- 1 1/4 oz Ginger-garlic adrak-lasan paste
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 2 tsp Ginger chopped
- 1 tsp Green chillies chopped
- 3 Tomatoes medium-sized, chopped
- 1 tbsp Green coriander hara dhaniya, chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger julienned
- 4 Green chillies julienned
bati (makes: 14 16 pieces)
- 9 oz Refined flour maida, sieved
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- 3 Green chillies ground to a paste
- 1.1 lb Ghee
- 10 Bati without ginger-garlic
- 9 oz Ghee
- 5 oz Sugar powdered
- 8 Green cardamom choti elaichi, powdered
- 12 Almonds badaam, blanched
- Mix the pulses, wash well, soak for half an hour.
- Cook the pulses with salt, turmeric powder, and just enough water until tender.
- Heat the ghee in a wok (kadhai); add asafoetida, cumin seeds, and cloves. Saute on medium heat for a few seconds. Add onions and saute till golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and red chilli powder. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add ginger, green chillies, and tomatoes and cook till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add the boiled pulses, mix well and heat through. Serve hot after garnishing with green coriander, ginger and
- green chillies.
- Mix the flour with salt, ginger-garlic paste, green chilli paste, and 4 tbsp ghee. Add just enough water to knead into a semi-hard dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 inch diameter balls.
- Place the balls on a greased tray and bake in a moderately hot oven for 10 minutes. Change sides and bake again for 10 minutes. It should be lightly browned with a few cracks when done.
- Remove and dip in melted ghee Serve hot.
- Dip the bati liberally in melted ghee. Keep aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- Crush them coarsely; add sugar, 2 tbsp ghee and the green cardamom. Mix well.
- To serve, either serve as a crushed mixture or roll into round balls which fit in the palm of the hand, garnished with slivers of almonds.
Calories: 1251 kcal
Carbohydrates: 71 g
Protein: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 64 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 264 mg
Sodium: 158 mg
Potassium: 484 mg
Fiber: 9 g
Sugar: 22 g
Vitamin A: 514 IU
Vitamin C: 16 mg
Calcium: 79 mg
Iron: 4 mg