Crudites With Sesame Dip
- 6 carrots
- 4 green or white celery stalks
- 4 courgettes
- 4 spring onions
for the sesame dip:
- 7 oz white sesame seeds
- 6 tbsp chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp mirin or sweet white vermouth or sweet sherry
- 3 1/2 tbsp Japanese light soy sauce
- small pinch ajinomoto or monosodium glutamate optional
- Begin by making the sauce: spread the sesame seeds out in a large non-stick frying pan and toast over a moderate heat, stirring continuously to ensure that they cook evenly and do not burn.
- When they begin to jump about in the pan, remove from the heat. Put them in the food processor and reduce to a smooth, creamy paste; transfer this to a bowl and stir in the stock, vinegar, wine, soy sauce, a pinch of salt, the sugar and, if used, the ajinomoto or monosodium glutamate.
- Taste and add a little more salt if wished or a little more vinegar if you prefer a sharper taste. Keep at room temperature until ready to serve.
- Clean and prepare the vegetables; cut lengthwise into fairly wide sections and then cut into large, thick matchstick shapes about 4 in (10 cm) long.
- Arrange the vegetables in alternating bundles on a large, round plate and place the bowl containing the sesame dip in the centre.
- If you need to prepare the vegetables a few hours in advance, keep them crisp in a bowl of iced water to which the juice of half a lemon has been added; take them out of the refrigerator and drain well shortly before serving.
Calories: 397 kcal
Carbohydrates: 33 g
Protein: 14 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Sodium: 1061 mg
Potassium: 1125 mg
Fiber: 11 g
Sugar: 15 g
Vitamin A: 15868 IU
Vitamin C: 43 mg
Calcium: 560 mg
Iron: 9 mg