Curly Kale with Sesame, Ginger and Spring Onions
- 5 1/2 oz curly kale
- 1 tsp sesame seeds plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp peeled and finely sliced root ginger
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 3/4 oz spring onion finely sliced
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- Remove all the thick stems from the curly kale. Bring a large, lidded saucepan of water to the boil. Add the kale, cover and cook for 6 - 7 minutes, or until tender. Drain in a colander and keep warm.
- Heat a small saucepan over a high heat, add the sesame seeds and cook, tossing the pan, until golden brown.
- Add the sugar, ginger, water and lemon juice. Cook until reduced by half, then add the spring onion and oil and simmer for
- 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, toss the kale with the sesame seed sauce so that the leaves are well coated.
- Serve on warmed plates with a few extra sesame seeds sprinkled over the top.
- This recipe can also be used with other green leaves, broccoli and French beans. Just blanch and toss in the sesame sauce.
Calories: 68 kcal
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Protein: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 35 mg
Potassium: 478 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 8036 IU
Vitamin C: 101 mg
Calcium: 146 mg
Iron: 2 mg