Creamy Butter Bean, Porcini and Tarragon Soup
- 2 1/2 oz leek white part only, cut into 1 cm (1/2 inch) cubes
- 3 1/4 oz peeled weight onion, cut into 1 cm (1/2 inch) cubes
- 2 1/4 oz celery cut into 1 cm (1/2 inch) cubes
- 1 clove garlic peeled and crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 1/2 oz fresh flat mushrooms cut into 1 cm (1/2 inch) cubes, plus 2 tbsp diced to garnish
- 1/2 oz dried porcini mushrooms soaked in 50 ml (2 fl oz) hot water and drained
- 3 oz peeled weight potato, cut into 1 cm (1/2 inch) cubes
- 4 oz canned butter beans drained and rinsed under cold water
- 1 1/4 pints vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon plus extra to garnish
- 4 floz skimmed milk
for the garnish
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp 0% fat fromage frais
- Put the leek, onion, celery and garlic into a large saucepan over a high heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes, or until softened but not coloured. You will not need any oil as the steam and the continuous stirring will prevent the vegetables from sticking.
- Add the bay leaves, mushrooms, potato, beans, stock and tarragon, stir well and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are mushy.
- Meanwhile, for the garnish, mix the lemon juice, sugar and pepper together in a separate saucepan. Add the diced mushroom, cover and cook over a high heat for 4 - 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool in the pan.
- Remove the bay leaves from the soup and discard. Using a hand-held electric blender, blend the soup until smooth, or use a food processor. Stir in the milk. Pass through a medium sieve into a serving dish.
- To serve, pour the mushroom garnish into the soup, sprinkle over a little tarragon and add a swirl of fromage frais.
Calories: 122 kcal
Carbohydrates: 22 g
Protein: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 6 mg
Sodium: 761 mg
Potassium: 488 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 8 g
Vitamin A: 863 IU
Vitamin C: 9 mg
Calcium: 125 mg
Iron: 2 mg