Chara Pulao (Chicken pulao)
- 1 Chicken medium-sized, cut into 12 pieces
- 1.1 lb Rice Basmati
- 3 tbsp Vegetable oil
- a pinch Asafoetida hing
- 1/2 tsp enugreek seeds methi dana
- 4 oz Onions medium-sized, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Ginger adrak, ground
- 10 Garlic lasan cloves, ground
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Turmeric haldi powder
- 1 tsp Cumin jeera seeds, ground
- 2 tsp Coriander dhaniya powder
- 1 tsp Black pepper kali mirch powder
- 64 floz Water
- 3 1/2 floz Ghee
- 6 Cloves hung
- 4 Green cardamom choti elaichi
- 2 Cinnamon dalchini, 1 inch sticks
Grind to a fine powder:
- 1/2 tsp Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Green cardamom seeds
- 1 Cinnamon 1 inch stick
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg jaiphaf powder
- 1/2 tsp Mace javitri powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 oz Onions thinly sliced and fried till golden brown
- Wash the chicken well. Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan; add asafoetida and fenugreek seeds. Saute for a few seconds, then add the onion slices.
- Mix the chicken with ginger, garlic, salt, turmeric powder, cumin seeds, coriander powder, black pepper powder, and water.
- Once the onion browns, add the chicken mixture and cook on medium heat till the pieces become tender.
- Cool and strain the stock. Remove the pieces. Debone and cut into medium-sized pieces. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a heavy-bottomed utensil. When hot, put in the cloves, green cardamom, and cinnamon sticks. When they start crackling, add the drained rice and saute for 2 - 3 minutes or till the rice turns light brown in colour.
- Add 1 tsp salt, the stock, and water (if required) so that the liquid is 1 inch above the rice. Cover and cook on high heat till the mixture comes to the boil.
- Mix in the finely ground spices. Lower heat to medium and cook till the liquid gets absorbed. Check seasoning and alter if required.
- Once the water dries, stir the rice cautiously to avoid breaking. Press from all sides and keep warm till fully cooked.
- Stir once more, garnish with fried onions and serve.
Calories: 621 kcal
Carbohydrates: 56 g
Protein: 23 g
Saturated Fat: 13 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 105 mg
Sodium: 86 mg
Potassium: 356 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 518 IU
Vitamin C: 5 mg
Calcium: 76 mg
Iron: 3 mg