Yakkhn Pulao (Rice with lamb stew)
- 7 oz Rice Basmati, soaked for 30 minutes
- 1.1 lb Lamb cut into big pieces
- 1/2 Nutmeg jaiphal
- 4 blades Mace javitri
- 1 inch piece Ginger adrak, chopped
- 1 inch stick Cinnamon dalchini
- 6 Cloves laung
- 1 tbsp Coriander dhaniya seeds
- 4 tbsp Ghee
- 2 Onions finely sliced
- 1 tsp Cumin jeera seeds
- 1 Cinnamon 1 inch stick
- 3 Cloves
- 4 Green cardamom choti elaichi
- 1/2 tsp Garlic lasan paste
- 1/2 tsp Ginger paste
- Salt to taste
- 7 oz Yoghurt dahi
- 1 tbsp Onion sliced, fried
- 10 Mint pudina leaves
- In a muslin cloth tie the nutmeg, mace, ginger, cinnamon stick, cloves, and coriander seeds together. This is called bouquet garni.
- Heat 4 cups water in a wok (kadhai); add lamb, salt, and the bouquet garni; cook on low heat till the lamb is tender. Then squeeze the bouquet garni and discard it.
- Remove the lamb pieces, strain the liquid and keep both aside.
- Heat the ghee in a thick-bottomed pan; add onion and saute till brown. Add all the spices, garlic and ginger pastes. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add the lamb, salt, and yoghurt; cook till the lamb turns brown.
- Add the drained rice and mix till the rice is well coated. Pour in the strained liquid, mix well, and cover with a heavy lid. Cook for 15 minutes on dum or bake for 20 minutes in a moderate oven.
- Garnish with fried onion and mint leaves, and serve hot accompanied with cucumber or mint raita. This is a complete meal by itself.
Calories: 495 kcal
Carbohydrates: 35 g
Protein: 18 g
Saturated Fat: 16 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 91 mg
Sodium: 73 mg
Potassium: 385 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 123 IU
Vitamin C: 4 mg
Calcium: 101 mg
Iron: 2 mg